Such data become more and more interesting and relevant every day.
Translated by Sandra from the German State’s report “Muslime In Deutschland“
“Muslims in Germany
In the nineties, the survey of Heitmeyer and others already put their emphasis on the meaning of Islamic organizations and associations. Nearly half of the Islamic youths showed attitudes which can be identified as Islam-centered claims of superiority. Moreover there were tendencies analyzed which were based on a religiously motivated will to use violence. About one third of the youths showed this kind of thinking which is closely connected to the Islam-centered claims of superiority on the one hand and traditional conservative views on the other hand.
- Counter-argument to the claim that radicalism stems from a lack of education: Lately Gallup was reporting that a�� taking into consideration the results of nationally representative surveys a�� amongst Muslims of 10 mostly Muslim countries, about 7% are to be called radicalized. The criterion for this definition as being a a�?radicala�? was that the attacks of 9/11 were completely justified, in combination with a negative or highly negative attitude towards the USA. Remarkably, this group of politically radicalized Muslims was on average higher educated and also richer than Muslims not having this kind of belief (vgl. Mogahed, 2006c, S. 2; Esposito & Mogahed, 2007).
- A�Victoroff (2005), summarizing the results of various international surveys to this topic, was also studying the social and economic backgrounds of Islamic assassins. The result of these surveys was that the terrorists, motivated by their Islamic ideology, had mostly a high level of education.
- Several surveys from the UK support the above-mentioned results. On behalf of the Daily Telegraph, the opinion research institute YouGov was questioning N=526 adult Muslims right after the terrorist attacks in London, which took place on 7 July 2005. 56% said that they could understand the behavior of the terrorists. 32% agreed with the statement Western societies were decadent and immoral and thus had to be changed. 1% were even convinced that violence would be an appropriate instrument to do so (King 2006).
- One year later, YouGov (2006) was repeating the survey. In July 2006, they surveyed 310 British Muslims and 1,632 British Non-Muslims. Responding to the question whether or not they would sympathize with those Muslims leading a a�?holy wara�? against the West because of what was happening in Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestine, 51% of the British Muslims said yes. …
Survey: N = 970 probands, Muslim resident population
- More than 85% declare themselves to be religious or very religious.
- 94% agreed with the statement that immigrants in Germany should keep the culture of their country of origin.
- For a huge part of these Muslims (52,1%), religious instruction meant to attend a Koran school
- The proportion of those with fundamentalist orientation is significantly increased among those who visited a Koran school (50.8%)
- The longer the visit of a Koran school, the higher the rate of those with fundamentalist orientation.
- 43% agree with the statement: People who modernize Islam destroy the true doctrine.
- 47% agree with the statement: I believe that every good Muslim is obliged to convert unbelievers to Islam.
- 66% agree with the statement that Islam is the only true religion.
- 45% approval: Only Islam is able to solve the problems of our time.
- 51% approval: In the long run, Islam will prevail in the whole world.
Concerning devaluation of Western societies:
- 56% approval: In Germany you can clearly see that the Christian religions are not able to ensure morality.
- 71% approval: The sexual morals of Western societies are totally depraved.
- 47% approval: To comply with the commandments of my religion is more important to me than democracy.
- 34% support the death penalty.
- 48% approval: Seeing the many criminals in this country, it is obvious where democracy leads to.
- 38% approval: The threat towards Islam posed by the Western world justifies that Muslims defend themselves by violence.
- 44% approval: Muslims who die in the armed struggle for their faith attain paradise. …
Survey among school pupils, N=2.683
- Attitude towards violence: It turns out that concerning almost all single survey items, young Muslims show increased mean values a��a��compared to indigenous young people and mostly also compared to the non-Muslim migrants. Based on the total scale, 24 % of young Muslims are inclined to violence. (non-Muslim migrants: 16%, indigenous adolescents: 14.9%)
- More than half of the surveyed adolescents clearly agree with the statement that Muslims, who die in the armed struggle for their faith, will attain paradise. Ca. one third of the young people considers the violent defense of Islam against an assumed threat from the western world to be justified; one third expressed to be undecided. About a quarter of young people distinctly say they are willing to use physical violence against unbelievers in the service of the Islamic community.